The Cavanaugh House

The Cavanaugh House has arrived! When Jesse Graham unlocks the door to the deserted house she inherited from her Aunt Helen, she doesn’t realize she’s unlocking secrets that had lain dormant for years...

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Today I welcome fellow Michigan author Colleen Nye. With her varied writing background, she brings a wealth of experiences to her writing.

Let’s start with her bio:Colleen Nye started writing at an early age. Between school writing assignments and her love of reading in early elementary school, her love of the art started right when she was being introduced to it. In high school, she submitted some of her poems and short stories to various mediums including anthologies, newspapers, magazines and contests. Several of which were published and won her awards including a few editor’s choice awards, placements in contests and even The Sarah Endres Award for Young Writers.

As an adult, she branched out and worked as a freelance writer for corporations and non-profit organizations, writing press releases for newspapers, magazines and online blogs and web sites. She also worked with politicians to create campaign and promotional fliers, bios and web site blurbs. Other works she has done have been research and photography for a few Mid-Michigan sites highlighted in the book Paranormal Lansing by Nicole Bray and Robert DuShane. She’s also worked with several companies, creating their how-to articles and product descriptions.
In 2009, Colleen joined a writer’s group called Writing at the Ledges in her home town of Grand Ledge, MI. In 2010, they published their second anthology entitled Seasons of Life. Colleen’s short story, “Full Circle” was a part of this book, being one of the longer pieces and received several great reviews.

Colleen, talk about your book. What was the first seed of an idea you had? How did it develop? 
When in Maui is my first solo novel. I've done a lot of other works, but this is the first full novel I've gotten published. It stemmed from a day when I was starting down the path for my divorce; a friend called to cheer me up by telling me about a dream she had. After she hung up, something about the dream sparked ab idea, and I got up off the couch, sat at my computer and started writing. Twenty minutes later, she called back and said "You should write that dream into a book." I replied "Funny you say that since I'm on page eleven." Three and a half months later, and I had When in Maui.

Dreams certainly can inspire our writing! How would you describe your writing process? Do you
outline? Let the muse lead you? Or something else? 
I have a "journal" for each book I work on. In it, I have notes on everything... characters, things I did, things I want to do for the story, etc. I make a LOT of notes.

Your process is very ambitious! Has writing changed how you read books now?
I notice flaws more now than I ever used to, but I also pick up on a good continuity or great character development more so now also.

What kind of response do you get when you tell people you are an author? 
I get a mixed response. But more often than not, I get the *gasp* That is amazing, you're famous, right? LOL I have to laugh a little and tell them no. But when I'm in a festival and someone recognizes me because of my book and asks to get a picture with me? I actually have to wonder.

Do you work with a conference partner, writer’s group or other organization? Where do
you get support? 
I have both a local writers group and a Facebook writers group I'm active in, and I find them supremely invaluable. I also have one or two people that read along as I write, offering input and keeping me motivated to keep writing so that they have more to read. It's also an extremely helpful thing. 

I have an amazing support group, too and I count my blessings for them. What are you currently working on? 
I have a couple anthologies that I'm very excited about being involved in... unique and fun projects. But as far as solo projects? I am almost finished with a thriller I'm writing. Then, I will be wrapping up When in Maui 2. Also, projects I'm very excited about.


What surprised you as you wrote this book? What amused or angered you? 
What surprised me was how much writing When in Maui helped me through a very difficult time in my life. My divorce was difficult and going out on my own with two young children was scary. but something about writing When in Maui gave me extra strength and almost saved me in a way.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog today. I wish you great success with your books.

Visit Colleen Nye at:

author.colleennye@gmail.com

wheninmaui@gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/WhenInMaui

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Colleen-Nye/113401855437579

2 comments: