Love's Destiny on Sale!

Love's Destiny is on sale for 99 cents Sept. 17 through Sept 24.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Judging a Look on a Cover

One thing I love about the covers of my historical romances is that they seem to illustrate the change in my heroine Emily Wentworth over the course of the story. On the cover of Love’s Destiny, Emily looks young and innocent as she gazes directly at the reader.

A seventeen-year-old girl whose father’s death has left her orphaned, she is innocent in the ways of love. Jonathon Brentwood enters her life in the unlikely role as her guardian even though he is only about ten years older than she (a mere trifle in colonial days). She is defiant, independent and a bit whiny as most seventeen-year-old girls are. But you can’t help but love her as she devises a plan, completely transparent to Jonathon, to rid her life of him. Emily is hopelessly smitten by Jonathon and, in order to follow this colonial patriot back to Virginia, she rejects a solid, safe, predictable marriage proposal from her lifelong friend Michael Dennings. Unable to fight their attraction Emily and Jonathon finally become lovers. But Emily’s love for Jonathon does not erase her independent, strong-willed nature. Confused by the colonists’ fight for freedom from a king to whom she has always been loyal, Emily decides to leave Jonathon and return to England which leads to tragic consequences. Through all of this, her transformation from the innocent virgin on the cover of the book evolves.

The cover of Love’s Spirit shows a very different Emily. There is a knowing look in her eye; she is now a woman. Love has transformed her, added wisdom and maturity. While she is still as independent as ever, she has suffered the depths of sorrow and she has reached the heights of joy. Not as impetuous as she was, Emily comes to understand how love can cause people to make wrong decisions, but also how love can overcome even the greatest despair.

Watching a character develop over the course of a novel or a series is a delight. Buffeted against fate like a ship against the waves, Emily Wentworth, the girl, matures to become Emily Brentwood, the woman transformed by love. While I knew all of this as I wrote these two romance novels, it was when I created a postcard featuring the covers side by side that I realized how clearly they illustrated Emily’s change. Kudos to Crimson Romance’s cover art team!  I guess sometimes you can judge a book by its cover.

What book covers helped you decide to read the book?

Contact me at:

Twitter: @efmeyette

Order my books at:



2 comments:

  1. Your covers are beautiful and definitely show how your character's grown physically and emotionally. Very nice! I usually pay more attention to the blurb than the cover when I buy, but there was one cover a few years ago that reminded me of how I picture the sons of Elrond from LotR. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so pleased that the young woman on the cover looked so much like my Emily! Thanks for stopping by, Brenna.

    ReplyDelete